Kitsune are among some of The Ancient Ones freed from the Dark Dimension as a result of The Other Side being permanently shut down. They are described as intelligent beings and as possessing magical abilites that increase with their age and wisdom, every 100 years they get a tail, becoming more powerful, and when they reach nine tails (Kyuubi no Kitsune), they become demi-gods, reaching the omniscience, and almost the omnipotency. Foremost among these is the ability to assume a human form. While some folktales speak of kitsune employing this ability to trick others as foxes in folklore often do other stories portray them as faithful guardians, friends, lovers and wives. The folklore says they are afraid of dogs, running away every time they see one.
Physically, kitsune are noted for having as many as nine tails. Generally, a greater number of tails indicates an older and more powerful fox; in fact, some folktales say that a fox will only grow additional tails after it has lived a century. One, five, seven and nine tails are the most common numbers in folkstories. When a kitsune gains its ninth tail, its fur becomes white, silver or gold. These kyūbi no kitsune gain the abilities to see and hear anything happening anywhere in the world. Other tales attribute them infinite wisdom.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Shapeshifting - Abilitiy to turn into anything found in nature.
- Kitsunetsuki - Possession.
- Hoshi no tama - The kitsune star ball.
- Fox-fire (kitsune-bi) - Kitsune can produce fire and lightning by rubbing their tails. Kitsune can also create small balls of fire and even breathe fire.
- Dream Manipulation - Willful manifestation in the dreams of others
- Creation of illusions - To a kitsune and for others, their illusions are reality.
- Magic - Kitsune can study any normal field of magic.
- Mind Control - A kitsune can cause someone to see anything the kitsune wishes, or overlook anything the kitsune wants them to, similar to compulsion.
- Others - Greater powers include bending time and space, drive people mad, or take fantastic shapes such as a tree of incredible height or a second moon in the sky.
- Empty Memory Sphere: If a kitsune's ball of memories is emptied then that kitsune will die.
- Feelings: Kitsune are also victim of their own feelings. A kitsune's emotions can cause them harm or distract them. The Sin of Regret can even kill a kitsune outright.
- Freedom: It is very important to the kitsune. They do not accept being forced into something they do not wish and do not like being bound or trapped. Doing so weakens the kitsune and is frowned upon by other kitsune.
- Promise: Kitsune must keep their promises or suffer a deterioration in their rank and power.